Wednesday, August 29, 2007

For the Love of Blog

So, in the last few weeks, I've been getting a lot of email from members of my high school class; most notable of the bunch is a former classmate who has assumed the esteemed role of Reunion Coordinator. This is a Very Big Deal, as June of this year marked 20 years since we graduated, and a reunion has been scheduled for October.

Call me antisocial, but it's only been a mere 20 years. Not nearly enough time has passed to entice me to drop $77 to see the very people I tried so hard to avoid once I escaped my teenaged years. But the reunion coordinator -- I remember her to be a very nice girl -- continues to send reminders to everyone on her list, does so in ALL CAPS and without much bothersome punctuation, save for the handy-dandy period.

Here's an example:

HELLO CLASSMATES

I HAVE 53 EMAILS.. SOME HAVE BEEN PASSED ONTO ME AND I DONT KNOW WHO YOU ARE... I HOPE EVERYONE RECEIVING THIS CAN ATTEND THE REUNION. PLEASE EMAIL ME BACK AND LET ME KNOW IF YOU PLAN ON ATTENDING...ASAP PLEASE. I AM STRIVING FOR 100 ATTENDEES AND CANT DO IT WITHOUT YOU. LETS MAKE THIS A GREAT REUNION.

HOPE TO SEE YOU!


Maybe she uses her TV's remote to type?

Now, not everyone with whom I attended high school sucked, but many, many of them did. They may suck a lot less now, but I don't care; I'm not going to that reunion. I might be up for one in another 30 years or so. Hopefully, they'll keep me in the loop.

I'm sharing the email from my Reunion Coordinator, because there have been a lot of comments lately about how Trenton has just discovered the internet. The email above illustrates that perhaps Trenton is ahead of the curve. Woohoo! The September issue of the Trenton Downtowner, (website, ironically, is currently down, or else I'd link 'em) has again reported on some Trenton bloggers, and it's exciting to see that my (anonymous??) blog, along with the crew of the Bald, the Fat, and the Angry are featured. So, thanks, Downtowner! I appreciate it.

But because every print article I've read about the Trenton Blog Movement has a tone of astonished "What took these people so long to find their voice?" about it, I wanted to put my theory out there. I have questionable social skills and no political aspirations, and despite that, hemmed and hawed at great length before finally deciding to revamp my focusless blog from 2004 into this Trenton-centric rantfest. Why the internal debate before my first post? Because it's a small freakin' world, and I want to be relevant, instead of viewed as some nutjob with an ax to grind; though, in my opinion, nutjobs with axes to grind make this world go 'round, too. The other bloggers in this city -- the activists, and newspaper reporters concerned about conflicts of interest, and the concerned citizens who have just had enough, and even those who (gasp!) may even have political aspirations -- do know just what's at stake. And I admire their bravery for blogging anyway. As readers and participants of The Times Forum know, despite its appearance as a monument to free speech, posts over there get deleted ALL THE TIME, at the behest of this city's public officials. We live in a city run by so many who have totally left us in the dust as they network and advance their own careers, and in some instances, are so freakin' petty that they think it's okay to turn on the very decent people who live here. They want us voiceless, and it's just not acceptable. We, as citizens, are entitled to question our leaders about what they've been doing. We, as citizens, are allowed to have political aspirations, or not. We, as citizens, deserve to NOT live in fear of retribution from our elected pack of thugs, OR the garden-variety thugs living down the street.

So, it's my hope that more people here in our fine city will decide tonight to forgo the dishes or the lawn or whatever, and start a blog. We all have a voice. Our lives are important. Spread the word.

No comments: