Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Dwight Schrute of City Hall

My title has "manager" in it.
-- Dwight Schrute


It's now after midnight, September 1, I'm wondering if Zac Chester is up, sleepless; I'm wondering if he's thinking about what might unfold in the next few weeks. I'm hoping he and his family are not worrying about whether or not he'll be served with legal papers. I imagine that Zac must be sizing up his adversary on East State Street, debating if his adversary will follow through with his threat, or if he'll shrink away. His adversary, Dennis Gonzalez, is, in my opinion, the Dwight Schrute of City Hall.

Dwight Schrute, assistant to the regional manager at Dunder Mifflin on NBC's "The Office," often heads into every situation with his fists up, and by the end of the show, he's been smacked down, and is sitting in the corner, with his tail between his legs.

I can certainly see things going similarly for Dennis Gonzalez, Trenton's Assistant Business Manager, after his threat to sue Zac Chester for defamation, simply because Zac asked for more information on Gonzalez's redevelopment projects. You don't have a case, Mr. Gonzalez. And the people are peeved.

Still, I can't help but wonder what Dennis Gonzalez is up to this weekend. Maybe deep down, he's a sensitive, hopeful guy, and figures Zac's apology is coming, but just a wee bit late? Maybe he's thinking, "Well, it is a long weekend, so I'll give him until Tuesday. But just until Tuesday, that's IT. After that [squinting eyes], lawsuit time." In some ways I feel for him...it has to be like waiting by the phone for that special person to call...and the call never comes. It's agonizing! Will he be drawing up legal papers, just so he's ready? Or has he been talked out of his hardline stance? Maybe he's planning to apologize to Zac -- and all the residents of Trenton -- for his deplorable threat against a concerned citizen? After all, if anyone should apologize here, it should be Dennis Gonzalez, and he should do it soon.

Happy Labor Day!





I have been Michael’s number two guy for about 5 years. And we make a great team. We’re like one of those classic famous teams. He’s like Mozart and I’m like...Mozart's friend. No. I’m like Butch Cassidy and Michael is like...Mozart. You try and hurt Mozart? You’re gonna get a bullet in your head courtesy of Butch Cassidy. -- Dwight Schrute

1 comment:

CHIC said...

Zac Chester got a soldier paid for time in Iraq when the city refused. I'm sure City Hall is not happy about that.