Saturday, November 3, 2007

Aaron, the Photographer

My sister, two of her young children, and I jumped in the car and headed to Denville, NJ, to visit with my grandmother, 89, recently. She has a small space, and my nephew, Aaron, 6, may have been a bit fatigued from the long drive, and felt particularly bored when we arrived at Nana's place. He was pacing about, wondering when the excitement would begin, unaware of the rules when visiting with grandmothers and great-grandmothers.

I offered my camera – which, I know is crazy. Aaron is 6, and the camera is pretty flipping sweet. Not that Aaron isn't pretty flippin' sweet. You know what I mean. It's nuts, to hand over a piece of expensive equipment to a bored child, I know, but I trust him. He's careful. So far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

So this will be a reasonably short post. We had a very nice visit, and Aaron took 322 pictures (thank goodness we've entered the digital age, no?), mostly of light switches and knick-knacks around my grandmother's place. He also did a series of everyone's feet, including his own. I'm not going to post mine, even though I was wearing sandals and I'm proud that my toenails were nicely trimmed: my feet, completely unbeknownst to me, were really dry.

Nana's feet
(please don't tell her about this picture)




Aaron's foot


Aaron, impressed with his photo essay on feet, which he could see taking shape on the view panel on the back of the camera, decided he wanted to do noses next. This did not fly, since a 6-year-old jamming a camera in your face is far more intrusive than a 6-year-old crawling around on the floor with a camera taking pictures of feet. Even though permission was denied for his second clever photo essay, he asked me to take a picture of his nose. It's amazing how much hair a 6-year-old has jammed up there.


Aaron's nose
(If you really want to see the hairs in fine detail, click the picture to enlarge.)



Maybe he'll get to finish the nose essay sometime during the month. I'm sure you can't wait to hear about it.

3 comments:

Miss Karen said...

I think Aaron has potential--the picture of Nana's feet is very nicely composed.

pbaman said...

Very brave to give a six year old the camera. He did a good job. He also took a lot of pictures!!! pbaman

Irving Bertrand Clean said...

mmmmm... nose haaaaairrr...