Saturday, November 22, 2008

Flour

Last Friday night, I made homemade pizza for dinner, and it was successful enough that Glen mentioned he'd like it again. I said, kind of absentmindedly, that we were running low on flour. I made the crust from scratch, using a recipe my sister gave me, a recipe that works well for all sorts of breads, too, by the way; the recipe calls for more than 4 cups of flour. In retrospect, I should not have said we were running low on flour, since we certainly had enough for another homemade pizza night, with a little to spare.

Glen came home with 50 pounds of flour the next day.

Fiddy pounds!

I figured I'd better get baking, before the flour goes bad, so last night, I made two breads, using what was left of my old flour. I made both breads based loosely on my mother's addictive pepperoni bread recipe, but I made some substitutions, since I know we'll be getting a lot of pepperoni bread through the holidays. So, last night, I made one with a steak-n-cheese filling, using Steak 'Um style steak, and shredded mozzarella; the other was a cinnamon bread, filled with brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter.


Steak (cooked) and mozzarella went into this one. I salted and peppered it too. I reckon some grilled onions and/or peppers and/or mushrooms would be delicious, too, but we didn't have any...


The steak bread all rolled up. I try to tuck in the edges as I go, to avoid blowouts while the bread cooks. Well, blowouts happen, no matter what, but tucking in the edges helps to keep more of the innards in.

The steak bread, cooked.

The cinnamon bread in the works.

The cinnamon bread, cooked. It had a minor blow out, but I scooped up the sugary buttery goodness and spread it on top of the bread, as it finished up. Can't let that go to waste!

Both were fantastic, but not out-of-this-world, I'm sorry to say, but I know what needs to be done to knock both over the top. The steak bread needs a sauce, that's all. We have plenty of leftover bread, so tonight, I'm gonna make a horseradish dipping sauce (mayonnaise free, yo), and I think that will do it. The cinnamon bread needed to be rolled thinner, or filled more generously with butter, sugar, and cinnamon, so I know better for next time.

The baby was sitting with Glen, watching hockey, so I also prepped a quiche-like casserole, just off the cuff, with some Portuguese bread, eggs, milk, cheese, and a smattering of dry dill dip mix, because dill and eggs are wonderful together. I cooked that up this morning, and served with with a slice of the cinnamon bread, and Glen said he'd like to have the egg thingy every weekend. High praise, which made me feel good. But I didn't mention that we're low on eggs, just in case he comes home with 6 dozen (again; that happened earlier this year). But maybe I should have. The holidays are here, after all.

The egg thing. Yummy!

I'm not complaining, by the way, about the huge reserve of foodstuffs; I'm just a tad bit overwhelmed, is all. But if you can send some recipes to help me use up the flour, that would really help!

1 comment:

Rosey said...

50 lbs. is a lot if you're not running a bakery...at least it's bread flour...

1 lb. bread flour
1 cup H2O
2.5 tsp dry yeast
2.5 tsp salt (preferably Kosher)

Mix ingredients in Kitchenaid and kneed for 5 minutes (or by hand if you don't have the mixer.

Place in bowl oiled with olive oil. turn dough over to coat with oil. cover with saran wrap. Let rise until double about 1.5 hrs. smack it down and shape like a football/torpedo or a boule (ball). Let rise again and slash on top with a razor or serrated knife. bake at 425 on pizza stone or pan sprinkled with corn meal about 40 minutes. done when internal temp is 200F or makes a hollow sound when thumped on the bottom...

Bon Apetite!