Monday, November 2, 2009

Why I love Trenton

Some things in Trenton are way cooler than other things. Many of my neighbors are not so cool. Trenton politics are not so cool. But, where else can you hit the Villa Park Halloween Parade, grab some lunch at Pete's Steak House, and on the way home, witness the take-down of a heavily tattooed man wearing nothing but a loincloth held up by suspenders? Why, that would be no where else but Trenton!

The parade was fun, and Pete's is always a treat, but I admit, the coolest thing I've seen in awhile is the mostly naked guy getting arrested on one of the busiest streets in the city, around 2 in the afternoon on a Saturday. I'm disappointed that I was unprepared to get the full frontal shot of this guy, but I'm pleased that once I recognized my good fortune, my photo-taking reflexes kicked in immediately to get the shot, below. Call me simple, but the experience has made my week, and has even made me less angry about the knuckleheads up the street. At least for now.

I know you can't get this kind of fun where you live, so, please, live vicariously through me. Enjoy.


The 400 block of Hamilton Avenue, Saturday, October 31, 2009.

2 comments:

Miss Karen said...

I do feel I must point out that it *was* Halloween. I mean, Trenton does have many awesome freaks, including a man who keeps horses in his tiny city yard and claims to be emperor of something. But on Halloween I bet I could find you a dozen loincloth-wearing drunk-n-disorderlies in New Jersey alone.

Chrissy said...

Indeed, it was Halloween. But, it was 2 in the afternoon. No one, except for the 23 kids that showed up for the Villa Park parade, was dressed up yet. Also, there was a group of people standing at one of the nearby houses, where we think (but are not positive) he was pulled from. None of those people were in costumes, either, though, there were some questionable outfits. But, yes, maybe this fellow was just getting an early start to the holiday.

It's been a few days, and I'm still THRILLED to have crossed paths with that fellow. He was so confident and so off-the-wall.