Friday, August 20, 2010

Why, Eric, why?

I hear all the time about the terrible roads in Trenton, and I experience them periodically, too. One thing I've noticed is that — in general — the louder the complaint, the faster the driver. My neighborhood was repaved in 2004 and isn't too bad, and as such, many of my fellow Trentonians tend to treat the streets near me like the freakin' Autobahn. Don't get me wrong, I'm not perfect; so I don't judge others for speeding, necessarily. But I am critical of their aggression, and more importantly, their lack of thought: it is wholly unsatisfying to get up to a good cruising speed, only to have to stop a half a block later. We have stop signs every two blocks here, which, in my opinion, defeats the point of speeding. A lot of people would also argue that it's dangerous — and they're right: we have about six to eight accidents in front of our house every year.

Anyway, my point is that most people in Trenton drive too fast, which is stupid because of the lack of a satisfying straightaway, and it's a downright destructive activity given the state of most of our road surfaces. If your undercarriage is damaged, there's a very good chance it's your own damn fault.

Still. If Former Director of Public Works and one-time mayoral hopeful, Eric Jackson, had only filled some potholes this spring, Trenton wouldn't be in its current pickle, and we'd all have mufflers. To be fair, it is largely an inherited pickle: we're in this terrible predicament because of the mismanagement of the former administration and council, with a little help from the current economy. We all knew the new mayor would be walking into a nightmare. We needed him to think quickly and responsibly, and instead, we wound up with a guy who can't even take care of his own family, so the inherited mess is just as tangled as ever, and the pile is growing. I feel bad for Mayor Tony Mack, but my sympathy doesn't mean that I think we should turn a blind eye to the regional headlines about his impending foreclosure; his kind-of nepotistic hirings in the face of lay-offs that will have dire, far-reaching consequences for our safety; his questionable handling of campaign money; his empty, broken promises. It's one thing if his thinking, and possibly his integrity, is so impaired that it interferes with his ability to provide for his wife and four young children, but it's another thing entirely if it drags another 80,000 people down further into the abyss along with him.

I'm an optimist, and I hope Mack can work out his personal financial disaster, and start figuring out the city's. But in case that doesn't happen, we need to be prepared to recall him. For information on how to do that, check out Old Mill Hill's latest post, and Recall Countdown Clock.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It isn't just a question of whether or not to recall. It's also about: who is our next mayor?

Anonymous said...

I tried to log into the mil hill count down and couldnt

Chrissy Ott said...

A1: I agree. I don't know enough about the recall process to know if we need to put someone else on the ballot at the same time as a potential recall, and if so, I don't know who that person should be. I think there were a couple of people in that litter of mayoral wannabes who could possibly do a better job than our current mayor, but who knows? That was a pile of yuck.

A2: The countdown clock simply counts down on the right side of the Front Stoop blog. I don't think it's clickable or log-in-able; it just counts down...which is pretty handy!